Tuesday, April 12, 2011

readying the inventory for June 4th and you



Before I started to go through my inventory for the Open Studio on June 4th, I had been baking bread this morning and thinking again how my abstract mono prints are so very realistic in reflecting the textures we find in nature. I sometimes feel like a conduit for nature. I adore taking the time to let surfaces speak to me. And as I was getting my heirloom tomatoes transplanted I noticed that a Cascara branch I was using to create a green house support had the loveliest spots on the bark. Seen close up one would hardly find this bark a literal or realistic view of the landscape. Every little thing makes up the whole. It cannot be separated out if it is to be fully realized or understood. A lot of the joy I find on the property comes from looking at my surroundings, breathing deep and letting it all in visually. Often this means listening carefully too. There is a symphony of spring that we can attend to for free. 
     What does this have to do with art? I guess I would ask what does it not have to do with art? It certainly informs mine from the first to the last thought and stroke. So if you get by for the Open Studio I encourage you to walk the 'wild' grounds here and see what it is that has informed my work. Most of you will already be blessed with living in this gorgeous Pacific Northwest and see a lot of familiarity. For those of you new to the area, even 5 acres has a lot to show.

No comments: